top of page
Speller's Sparks at his local sports ground in Chilcompton

What is a Minor Works Certificate? Issued by your local, qualified and registered electrician in Chilcompton!

01761 325 007

Labelling the Consumer Unit so that consumers know which circuit is powering the Ring Doorbell
Speller's Sparks - Local Electrician Business Logo
Cartoon of Rich Speller (your Local Electrician) at work installing new electrical installations
  • Facebook
  • Youtube
  • Instagram
  • LinkedIn

Minor Works Electrical Certification by your Local Electrician in Chilcompton

Generally speaking, for domestic properties there are three types of electrical certificates that I, and other registered & certified electricians, will issue to you on completion of any work: 


  • Minor Works Certificate (MWC) - not notifiable under Part P

  • Electrical Installation Certificate (EIC) - notifiable under Part P

  • Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) - not notifiable under Part P


As the title suggests, this blog will focus on the first which is a MWC, if you click on this link here you will see a typical example (all names and addresses have been removed). A qualified, registered and certified electrician should be providing you with certification and paperwork that details the work has been completed, not only for your information but this helps any other tradesperson in future too. 

You will also know that I, and any other qualified electrician, is following the IET Wiring Regulations, electricians know this standard as BS7671! But, I hear you ask, what on earth is BS 7671? Well, this is the simplest explanation that I found on the internet:


“The IET Wiring Regulations is the national standard for electrical installations in domestic, commercial and industrial settings. It is the essential standard for all those concerned with the design, installation, certification and maintenance of electrical installations.”  


When should an MWC, along with associated testing, be provided to you? 


When a circuit has been altered or modified in any way, a Minor Works Certificate should be issued to you. An electrician needs to ensure that the circuit being worked upon complies with the latest wiring regulations before work can begin, and where possible it should be brought up to standard if this is what’s required to ensure your safety. If there are issues found during testing then the electrician needs to ensure that any work will not impact upon a fault, and that it is ready to be worked on and that it is safe for you, the customer. Therefore there may, from time-to-time, be an additional cost to the job so that these works can be carried out. 


Why does Minor Works Testing need to be Completed? 


Think of it like this… if you’ve just moved into a house that is more than 10 years old, how do you know that the last owner of your home didn’t do something really stupid and leave some live cabling dangling about, or worse still damaged the circuit to a point in which it’s dangerous… Now, much of the time there are only very small rectifiable problems, and all is well but there have been many times when I have come across issues that need to be fixed for the safety of your family or a workaround has to be sorted!


In the short clip below is one such example… this was supposed to be a “Minor Works'' job i.e. adding an outdoor socket, however the condition of the electrical installation, which must have been up to 50-60+ years old in places, could not be modified to meet today's regulations, so the solution was to “upgrade” the job from a MWC to an EIC (Electrical Installation Certificate), which meant that the work was now notifiable and Building Control would need to be notified, only a Part P registered electrician can (or should be!) completing this kind of work.


Speller's Sparks Electrician Background - electricians tools are specifically designed to withstand high voltage and keep you safe!


Speller's Sparks LTD ("the professional, and local, electrical service with the personal touch"): 

I am your friendly, local electrician, serving your area - please see the Map on the Homepage… I install anything from extra lighting to garden electrics. If you have any questions please contact by clicking on the green "Request Booking" button for a free, no obligation, quote! Or, email Rich at! OR, call/WhatsApp Rich on 01761 325 007 or email Rich

Speller's Sparks LTD serves all surrounding areas, a radius of 10-15 miles of Chilcompton - watch my welcome video on my Home Page, which will introduce myself (Managing Director of Speller's Sparks) and show you the areas I work in (although I will travel further for the right customer and job). 

Follow the links below to see more information and get a little more personal with my local area, there is also some general information: 

Speller's Sparks electrical services - all certification will be provided and this is a snippet of an EIC
Speller's Sparks Logo - your local electrician
Based in Chilcompton (BA3), Serving Coleford

Contact Email:
Contact Tel: 01761 325 007
Speller's Sparks Logo - your local electrician
bottom of page